Something that is constantly messing up my reading plans is my mood. I’ll have this great contemporary picked out to read and then I start reading it and …. I can’t get past the first page. It’s like my brain is completely opposed to reading about coming of age and first love. I want dragons and I want them NOW! Or maybe I’m reaching for the mystery I just bought but within a few pages I realize I have no desire to be scared or on edge. Time to switch books! Will I pick that contemporary back up again? I hope so. But there is no guarantee. It sticks because I’ve put down some life changing books. (So says other people, but still.) It’s almost like I can’t get my thoughts to line up with how I’m feeling.
If this happened once a year it wouldn’t bother me that much. However, for me personally, it happens to me almost once a week. I’m a pretty emotional person. I get that. And I do tend to let my emotions drive my actions. Whoops. But now my moodiness has affected my reading.” What are the long term affects?” you might ask. I’ll tell you.
- TBRs are pointless. Sure I could make a list of everything I want to read this coming month/year. But half of the list would have been picked up then put right back down. It’s ridiculous.
- When going to the library I always check out a book from each genre because I don’t know which one I’ll WANT to read when the time comes.
- I have a ridiculous number of unread books on my shelves. I will stand in front of them and see which one calls to me. But sometimes they just don’t.
- Sometimes its hard just getting INTO the reading mood. My brain will decide to turn off. “Hey I don’t want to think right now. Peace Out.” This is probably the most annoying mood.
- When my mood is at an extreme I don’t read. If I’m the happiest I’ve been in days, I can’t sit still long enough to read. If I’m having a panic attack reading to escape isn’t an option because I can’t get my thoughts to stop and focus on “other”. Basically I read the most when I’m content.
I’ve seen a few other bloggers and book tubers talk about this. I always wonder if anyone else’s reading is so highly affected by their mood. Is it easy for you to get immersed in a book. Or does how you feel sometimes hold you back? Talk to me down in the comments and let me know. I hope you’re having a wonderful day!